Monday, November 3, 2008

Twittering my 'news'

After a long wait (which was merely 1 day), our CENL2008 moderators uploaded the new tasks for this week. This week is about micro-blogging.

I glanced through the assignment and saw the word "twitter". Oh no! I'm not quite sure why, but I was a bit sceptical about 'twitter'. Probably because I didn't understand what it's all about. "OK... since I'm not sure at all what this is about, let me just read through the materials..."

I had no idea of what was micro-blogging. Once I read through the material, I realised that it sounds more like a "status update" that you post up in your social network profile or "wall"! This is great!

Lately, I'm 'addicted' to status updates in my Facebook! Every morning, or afternoon, or evening, I HAVE TO update my status and answer "What are you doing?" on my social network site. Now, I can do that using Twitter!

I did multi-tasking - reading the material, watching the CommonCraft video, signing up for a Twitter account, inviting my friends into my Twitter account, updating the profile and customising my Twitter account, trying out all the features in Twitter... and now I'm blogging my experience.

This is the list of things I found out about micro-blogging using Twitter:
  1. We can use this to promote and advertise goods/services/ourselves, getting business, networking, and voice out opinions. [Refer to more points in http://www.901am.com/2007/the-top-5-ways-smart-people-use-twitter.html]
  2. We can embed the Twitter Updates onto our website, blogs, or even social network sites! (Yes! :-D) But you can only do on ONE site, not all (Alaaa... :-( ) - So I did that here, in this blog. [Refer to the first widget "Sha's Twitter Updates" that appeared on the left side of this blog.]
  3. Twitter can be 'followed' by our audience, and we can trace them... and vice versa. (I just added my friends less than an hour ago, and one of them is already in my list! And he's automatically listed as a twitterer I "follow".)
  4. I think some day I would use this Twitter to promote myself and provide links to updates of my blogs or portfolio (at times I'm looking for new small jobs/info).
Mission accomplished!

Still following me?
- Sha @ Teaching and Learning
04 Nov 2008

No comments: