Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bunnyman on the loose!

Review on
Social Media and Education - avoiding the rabbit holes
Source:
http://14sandwiches.com/2008/09/12/social-media-and-education-avoiding-the-rabbit-holes/

"Social media tools can be incredibly useful in schools... to help teach students safety online" (Martin, 2008) - this is one of the most important thing to teach students in the first place, due to a number of information a stranger could gather from one's profile, that could lead to identity theft, etc. This issue (on identity-sharing behaviour among students and concern on identity theft) is covered in detail by Stutzman (2006).

From Martin's experience reflected in this article, it shows that there is a fine line between work and personal life, once we 'expose' ourselves in social media. I was a bit aware too on this part, before I could finally decide to accept my students' invitations to social online networks. Yet, I have nothing much to hide.

Social media can be a friend or a foe, so if it's going to build trust among my students on me and what knowledge I have to share with them, then why not? "Just be sure that any skeletons you have are hidden in a suitable closet," as Martin (2008) advised.

Bunnyman with skeleton in the closet,
- Sha @ Teaching and Learning
06 Oct 2008

No comments: